Photography

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Life?

My apologies to everyone for leaving you in the dark regarding my existence. I am in fact, still alive. The question of humanity however, remains a different one entirely. As I alluded to in the last blog, it is frustrating trying to figure an issue out, or a person, when they hold such opposing beliefs and when surrounded by conflict. But as I was nicely reminded this morning by the wife of our ever so cynical director, life in general-this conflict specifically- is complicated because it is not black and white. For one who is all or nothing, that is hard to live out. But I am coming to appreciate the Orthodox and Jewish appreciation of disparities. So in both senses of the word, I am truly alive and will continue to be so as long as I continue to wrestle with these issues. :)
Now on to the important information. Hmm, I flew out of Cairo into Istanbul at 3 a.m. I spent the first three days there sick and lying in the hotel room so that I could fully recover and have the stories from the rest of the trip that I now have. It was truly awe-inspiring to visit the Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque and Topkapi Palace, particularly because I am fascinated with architecture. (They actually were so awesome that I found the Dome of the Rock to be a bit smaller than I expected.) We drove from Istanbul to Ankara, and I thoroughly enjoyed the Turkish countryside. Two nights later we drove back to Istanbul and then got on a plane to Damascus. We spent our time in the old city but also drove north to visit the Krac de Chevalier- an old crusader castle and to speak with an Orthodox Priest. It was fun to get some religious studies in the midst of our political discussions. We then drove into Jordan three days later to spend one day speaking with a U.S. diplomat and then one day at the Dead Sea. It was really relaxing to swim in both the Dead Sea and in the swimming pool at the resort we stayed at. Now we are in Jerusalem, staying in the old city.

No comments:

Post a Comment