Photography

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Yes I Did

So I definitely just came back from the Blue Hole, one of the greatest diving places in the world and it was incredible!! I wish I could have spent a week there. The city (Dahab) is very much a beach resort place with restaurants and hotels spread out along a boardwalk on the shore of the Red Sea. But it was weird because there was no one there! It felt strange seeing all of these really nice hotels and touristy restaurants and shops that were empty. Maybe I should not publish this because then it can remain the greatest kept secret spot. :) Beside seeing amazing colored fish and extravagant coral, we also climbed the infamous Mt. Sinai. I wish I could have shared the sunrise experience with all of you.
Well, we are entering hell week, otherwise known as finals week. And in reality this is more like finals two weeks. We have five papers due scattered throughout the next two weeks and it is really difficult trying to think about them all. The questions raised and discussions that occur here are all really broad and ultimately unanswerable; regarding worldviews. I really need something strong to stand on. As great a program as this is, we are dealing with questions regarding salvation and living out a faith when you are literally at war. I truly love exploring these issues and talking out opinions and ideas with other students. But through these conversations, I have come to realize that the church in America is not standing strong. We constantly come under attack from the prevailing culture, so the attitude now is to just say “I can’t judge you”, “Only God knows the answer”… While these are great responses and hold much truth, there also comes a point where we humans need something to hold onto. I really appreciate that about this culture. They are unashamed to say such and such is wrong, hands down no questions asked. But also, this is too ignorant. Just saying that because the Bible says something therefore it is absolute, is thoughtless. So where then is the balance between accepting everything at face value and having nothing to stand on due to questioning it all?

No comments:

Post a Comment